Sunday, July 11, 2004

Badverts #1

I have coined the word Badverts to describe ... Bad adverts. (See what I did there?) My first nominee (please add yours1) is:

The AA
for Bev and Kev

I'm not alone in casting Bev-Kev as a badvert -- look:
The Mighty Crumb agrees ...

However, *incredibly*, UNBELIEVABLY (yes, I know that's tautological, but it's intended to express my utter outrage, right?), the AA won awards for Bev and Kev! HOW can this be?! (look, it's driven me to interrobanging?! I can't stop?! I've turned into Glennda Slagg?!?!)
For shame.

My obsession with Bev and Kev now having grown somewhat alarming, I can also report the following facts:

o There is a real-life Bev and Kev. The artistic director of the ad is Kevin Bratley; Kevin is married to the lovely Beverley. Honest.

o Less of a fact than an amusing opportunity to go "duh...": Grauniad columnist Andrew Rawnsley missing most of the point by describing the second Bev and Kev as "identical twins of the first couple".

1Non-existent studio audiences can vote on their keypads now. Non-existent digital audiences can vote by pressing the red button now. Non-existent audiences on the move can vote by texting "EH?" to 81234 now. Non-existent technophobe audiences can vote by finding some headed notepaper and writing "Dear Sir, Eh? Yours truly etc." and posting it here now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Raps said...

Porkpie was keen to mention pseudoscience in haircare adverts. How proteins strengthen the hair shaft for extra vitality and sheen. How asteroids coat the hair with a volumising vapour to give your hair the day-long bounce it deserves. And so on.
But she couldn't be arsed to register, so I thought I'd comment for her.

12:40 PM  
Blogger lourap said...

Kevin was able to politely put the doubters straight ... isn't that a split infinitive? So their grammar is as bad as their adverts?

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home