Sunday, July 11, 2004

Blog-driving ... just say "no"

So I find that the place I come up with all me thoughts is in the car, which is not a very conducive location for blogging, what with having to focus on the road, having legs too short1 and the like. It came to me in another one of my likely-not-to-be-original visions that what I need is a blog-a-phone. A dictaphone with voice recognition software which I just need to talk at and then it adds it all to the blog.

I thought this was a worthy idea, so stayed with it for a bit to see what else my tired but overly conversational brain would come up with.

It came up with problems, plus ça bloody change.

Does voice recognition software have good grammar? (Morph says I should check out his essay on the subject.) I'm sure it can manage commas vs. semi-colons. Can it, however, recognise just how long a pause equals ellipses? Does it understand irony?2 And so on.

Then I got on to wondering whether it knows all its entity names, and whether it would be able to cope with my pretentious habit of flipping between languages. If it's in English mode, will it write "ploo sa shonge" and then tell me politely it can't find those words in the dictionary?3

In the manner of all good self-fulfilling prophecies, I can't now remember the other thoughts I had on the subject. It's possible I reached my destination and stopped thinking about it all together.



1Whereby, I have to have the seat really far forward to reach the pedals, therefore unable to fit laptop on lap between me & the steering wheel.
2Not if it's American, I suppose. Better hope it is invented by a Brit.
3Yes, I'm aware of a number of ways in which it would get round this, I just can't be bothered to take it to that tedious extreme. It was just a passing thought. [Hope it doesn't have one of those Nokia-style dictionaries that you have to rewrite every time you change phones...] But the irony point, I think, is thus far unsettled by code.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home