Sunday, July 11, 2004

And it went a little something like this...

I believe we were about here when R2 in their bountiful wisdom put the needle on the record and made me say "woo" and "yay" with seminal-moment-type excitement (not literally – I mean, not in a rude way). I wish I could recreate it in words1. It's <irony>quite well known though</irony> so hopefully enough of you2 will know it to understand what I'm saying.

If I ever get round to saying it.

The eagle-eyed amongst you3 may have spotted the title of my first ever post and already computed that the song I'm referring to is "it's (only) rock and (roll) but (I) like it".4 In came that big fat riff and I decided that the whole raison d'être of rock and roll is encapsulated in the first, what, 5 seconds of that song. It just rocks. (And rolls, a bit).

And to hammer the point home, they only do that riff once in the whole song. As if to say, yeah, well, we came up with the best riff ever. No need to repeat. We'll just put in some weirdy words and get Mick to gyrate a bit now.

(This all sounded much better the way I wrote it in my head in the car – see a later post for my solution to *that* problem.)

So, somewhat disappointingly perhaps, that's it. That's the reason I got on the blogwagon (etc.). Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster? Bollocks. Keith Richards Got Me Blogging. *That's* news.

1I do accept that would render an entire art form defunct so I don't wish it *much* (I have a vision of Carole Decker telling me my dreams are China in my Hand. Indeed). Anyway. It went "der Neerrr, der Ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner".
2You being my non-existent readers, of course. Have to keep alive the idea of this being a column with a devoted following.
3Ibid.
4May have got some of these pesky parentheses in the wrong places. In honour of Mr G, of course,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home