Thursday, May 01, 2008

I captcha the castle

Recently, I've been getting a bit fed-up with the captcha on the Connotea site. Unlike various grouchos, I am quite happy with the Connotea interface and functionality in general. But I find their captchas particularly hard to read, and it frequently takes me multiple attempts (5, in the worse case so far) to guess, for example, whether a character is a "1", an "l", an "i" or a "j".

Upon whingeing about this to colleagues, I heard about a captcha test requiring the user to assess whether a drawing was of a dog or a cat.

Where will it end?

Before we upload your posting/bookmark/comment, please confirm that you are not a computer by telling us: Is this elephant fulfilled, or is he yearning for more in life?

Is the elephant happy or sad?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian Mulvany said...

Hi,

I'm the product development manager for Connotea. If you want to email me with your user name I can add you to the whitelist.

You can email me at i dot mulvany at nature dot com.

I understand that captcha's are a pain in the ass, but in the middle of last year the spam frequency on the site shot through the roof (I guess the service was starting to make enough traction to make it a target) and we were forced to tighten our heuristic rules.

- Ian

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home